Aurora Irrealis

"Most art is sincere. And most art is bad." --Igor (Stravinsky)

Thursday, September 20, 2007

berlin, meine Liebe

I'm just come "home" to my hostel in East Berlin, smelling like an ashtray. can't remember the last time that's happened. Even the UK has gone smoke-free, it's unbelievable.

Had a most awesome night tonight with Deb and Seb. (Deb of Montreal/Smith Falls, Seb her Berliner boyfriend.) As part of the PopKomm event, there was an unbelievable lineup playing tonight at Postbahnhof that we paid merely 25 euros to see: Malajube, Menomena, Stars, Architecture in Helsinki.

All the bands were great, but Stars were... just...awesome. So melodic. I want to be Amy Millan. The guy (who is very short, good choice to become a rock star!) played a blow-keyboard! if that's what they're called.

For Stars and Architecture in Helsinki (who are crazy and fun), the last two bands, we were in the next-to-front and finally front row. Deb and I are both going to marry one of ArchInHelsinki's drummers. The same one.

So much to write about! Today I didn't get out til 3 (had work to do), but biked across Unter den Linden, giggling and completely please with myself for the bike plan. Biking in Berlin is such a pleasure, there are a lot of bike lanes and drivers are very watchful and respectful. It was a gorgeous and relatively warm day for a change: 20 degrees. Yesterday (Weds) I was freezing in Deb's apartment.

I stopped at the Brandenburger Tor, Reichstag, Potsdamer Platz, Siegesaule, Tiergarten, Zoo, KaDeWe. Got a half-liter of Heferweizen in a temporary biergarten by the Kaiser Gedachtnis Kirche (the half-tooth?), and had really good gelato (what is up with Berlin and great gelato?). Wandered down the street to KaDeWe, picked up some snacks at a market. Around 7pm, I biked back from West Berlin to East Berlin, glancing over my shoulder at the sunset as I whizzed through the Brandenburg gate. Such a pleasure, indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home